Skip to main content

Never Go to the Mall On Saturday

So for some reason, I thought that it was a good idea to subject myself to the mall today. Why go to a mall just north of Chicago on Saturday? I do not know. I was looking for shoes and all the teenagers were looking for... people to look at them. I felt like I had stepped into the movie Mean Girls and everyone was staring at me because I was wearing the "wrong clothes". Whoops.

Seriously, girls were upset at me for walking faster than them, a child laughed and pointed at me before the elevator doors closed at Target (me being the only one in the elevator!)  People looked at me like I was a Mennonite who happened to wander into a mall. I wondered what kind of hell I had actually walked into. None of them staring at me would have ever guessed I am a fashion designer. 

Absolutely everything in this outfit is from my favorite thrift store: skirt, turtleneck sweater, belt. At one point, I thought I needed to hem this skirt just a little higher but I actually like where it is now.

After I came home (with only one pair of jeans and one sweater), I realized this outfit was better than most things I could have bought at the dumb mall. I meant to actually treat myself to new clothes for once but didn't find anything!

Many clothes these days no matter where I go - not just the mall - are flashy, showy, have a bunch of cutouts, sparkle, jingle, are neon, or are see-through. Who is wearing all of this?!  The only time I have actually gotten recently excited over is either at Marshall's, T.J. Maxx, or a thrift store.

 I feel sad for many teenagers these days - God forbid there is a weird girl mixed in there somewhere, I can only imagine that teenagers nearby or in Chicago must be ruthless. You have to look like this, this, or this but never that.

I'm almost a decade out of high school now and I hardly remember anyone being super-harsh. Sure, you had people who were jerks, but I feel like everyone generally let others do their own thing with minimal (if any) bullying. I had a small crew of girls make snide remarks about/at me in specific classes, but I think anyone has a handful of those around. What are those girls doing now? God only knows. I would say that I overall was very confident and took pride in being "the weird girl".

The only good shot I got of me and Beezy! She wanted to be in the photo. 

Overall I am glad that in most cases, I am able to wear what I want when I want and no one is "concerned" about it being the "it" thing. Fashion is getting to be a little more widely accepted (as a whole) with the general public as more about individual style versus jumping on every trend that is "in" this season. 

Sure, you have your "fashionistas" who are still all about following what Nylon is telling you to wear (don't get me started about how that magazine was once really great and innovative but totally fell off the boat), but then you have people who genuinely like dressing and dress for themselves. And that's who you should dress for! 

I make fashion because I hate fashion. Truly, this is how it started for me! I do have a few magazine subscriptions (InStyle being my favorite) but those magazines as well as fashion websites, etc are all inspiration not Fashion Bible. No one outlet should ever be taken as "Bible" as far as fashion is concerned. 

The overall message I want people to get is to have fun with it if you're into clothing. If you want to look like you're pretty much wearing a costume one day? So be it. It doesn't matter. 

In the end, those teenagers at the mall don't matter. I was just having an off day - winter makes me feel un-cute and nothing is appealing in my closet and all my boots are ruined. I wanted to finally indulge in some "retail therapy", but realized that it doesn't exist for me. My "retail therapy" is actually making something new and amazing to wear.  It's not as instant as I would like, but that's how I am.

About an hour and a half in, I had conceded defeat. I bought some froyo and stood by the candy machines with my coat slung haphazardly over my bag since there was nowhere to sit (sure as hell wasn't going to sit alone in the "lunch room".) And then -in all my weird glory - a little girl of about 9 years old (very precocious) steps away from her friend and looks straight up at me. "You're really pretty," she said, confidently. I said thank you and she returned to her candy selection with her friend. 

That was all I had needed for today. I guess I too, had gone to the mall, looking for attention.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Latch Hook Rug Update

A little under a month ago I received all of my supplies to take on one of the biggest long-term projects I have ever taken on - a self-designed latch hook rug. I don't know why, but I am clearly nuts. So beginning today I am posting photos each month, (preferably on the 1st of each month) progress of this gigantic shag rug. See how I started it here (scroll down past posting of my $10 dress).  This is a photo of it today:  Yes, I used the candelabra for scale. Haha.   This rug is really soft and is fun to run your fingers through.  It doesn't look like much was accomplished, but though the number of packages we have gone through of pre-cut latch hook rug yarn already I have calculated that  we've used over 2500 strands for this ie.) 8 packages. I also just ordered 10 more packages of lime green since that's what I ran out of first and 6 more packages of straw yellow. There is still quite a bit to go, but you see the blue row squares? Each of th

DIY Trapeze Dress

I'm a pretty big fan of tent dresses (or trapeze dresses - call it what you want). They're simple, easy-to-make and you can have many variations of them. These are a fun style to wear for spring and summer!  See this DIY from a Good Housekeeping Crafts book from 1971 - photos at the end of my own trapeze top from a while ago! (Bear with me on the photos here - this book is quite cumbersome and hard to scan.)  Applique patterns, in case you wanted the dress to look EXACTLY like the photo. (But why?)  How to cut the fabric efficiently. (This is actually pretty important cost-wise for you - especially with something this big.)  Using pattern instructions from my patternmaking book from college, I created this swingy trapeze top a bit ago. I used sweater fabric from a thrift store find for the collar of this top.   I also opened up the back on the pattern to have a diamond shape.   It can easily be belted like in this photo fo

Shingo Sato and the Art of Transformational Reconstruction

So I got really excited on my break at work today when I got an email from Burda about a webinar they're doing on a pattern technique called "Transformational Reconstruction" developed by Japanese designer Shingo Sato. I hadn't even heard of Shingo Sato until today let alone his design technique but oddly, it's sort of the path I'm going down with my designs anyway as seen with the Sunrise Panel dress as well as the Petra Dress and the pattern making involved in those designs. What I did there is perhaps a "light" version of Sato's where the darts and shaping are hidden in the seam lines. If you've been reading this blog long enough, you know that my design aesthetic focuses largely on color blocking, unusual seam lines, and a love of anything psychedelic. Note: All photos stolen from the internet. Sorry! I'm super-excited. Let me know if it's yours and I'll take it down.  Shingo Sato teaching.  More designs using